Ground glass multiple adapter

Made:
1945-1965 in Croydon
SMG00104807

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Licence

SMG00104807
Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Musuem

Laboratory glassware, ground glass multiple adapter with two necks parallel. Made by Townson and Mercer Ltd, 1945-1965. The object features green logo 'T&M Ltd, B 24, B.S.S.No.572' and a yellow sticker marked 'SC 187'.

This piece of glassware, part of a collection of just over 300 items, came from the Silberrad Research Laboratories founded by Oswald Silberrad in 1907. It was located at his home in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, until 1933 when Silberrad moved to Dryads’ Hall in Loughton, Essex. The laboratory remained active until his death in 1960.

Oswald Silberrad was an industrial chemist. His early interests were mainly in explosives chemistry, where he provided support for the War Office leading up to, and during, the First World War (1914-1918). His most notable work in this area included the invention of the explosive tetryl (known as ‘Silberrad’s explosive’), the use of TNT as a detonator, and the development of flash-less artillery propellants. His chemical research also included the invention of a corrosion resistant bronze alloy ‘Turbadium’, which was used in ships propellers, and the development of PVC fuel pipes used in aircraft.

Details

Category:
Experimental Chemistry
Collection:
Silberrad Glassware Collection
Object Number:
2021-736
Materials:
glass
type:
laboratory glassware