Round bottom flask with side arm and ground glass neck

Made:
1950-1965 in Croydon
SMG00105079

Creative Commons LicenseThis image is released under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 Licence

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

SMG00105079
Science Museum Group
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Glass flask, round bottom flask with side arm and ground glass neck, made by Townson and Mercer Ltd, London, England, 1950-1965. The object features the manufacturer's logo on the neck of the flask with the words 'T&M Ltd, B24, B.S.S.No 572'. The object has a yellow sticker marked 'SB2'.

This piece of glassware, part of a collection of just over 300 items, came from the Silberrad Research Laboratories founded by Oswald Silberrad in 1907. It was located at his home in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, until 1933 when Silberrad moved to Dryads’ Hall in Loughton, Essex. The laboratory remained active until his death in 1960.

Oswald Silberrad was an industrial chemist. His early interests were mainly in explosives chemistry, where he provided support for the War Office leading up to, and during, the First World War (1914-1918). His most notable work in this area included the invention of the explosive tetryl (known as ‘Silberrad’s explosive’), the use of TNT as a detonator, and the development of flash-less artillery propellants. His chemical research also included the invention of a corrosion resistant bronze alloy ‘Turbadium’, which was used in ships propellers, and the development of PVC fuel pipes used in aircraft.

Details

Category:
Experimental Chemistry
Collection:
Silberrad Glassware Collection
Object Number:
2021-767
Materials:
glass
type:
flask