Heart-lung machine

Made:
1955-1960
maker:
New Electronic Products Limited

Crank handle associated with heart-lung machine from Royal Postgraduate Hospital Hammersmith c.1958, by New Electronic Products Ltd., English. Designed by D.G Melrose and used in the first open heart operations at that hospital. The blood flows over the rotating discs whilst a current of oxygen is blown across it.

The heart-lung machine performs the functions of the heart and lungs during surgery. A pump takes over the action of the heart, supplying the body with blood. The heart can then be stopped, making it easier to operate on. The patient’s blood flows over the rotating discs where oxygen is blown across it, effectively taking over the action of the lungs.

This machine with a pump oxygenator was conceived by Denis Melrose (1921-2007) at the Postgraduate Medical School in Hammersmith, London, in the early 1950s. Melrose also developed a way to stop the heart beating during heart surgery using potassium citrate. The technique is still used today and is called cold cardioplegia. This machine was the first to be used in open heart surgery operations at the Postgraduate Medical School.

Details

Category:
Surgery
Object Number:
A600308/2
Materials:
aluminium alloy, copper (alloy), glass, phenolic board, metal (ferrous), plastic (unidentified) and rubber (unidentified)
type:
heart-lung machine
credit:
Hammersmith Hospital (Dept. of Med. Phy)

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

View manifest in IIIF viewer

Add to Animal Crossing Art Generator

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.