Metal case for jubé-type blood transfusion apparatus, Paris, France, 1900-1945

Made:
1900-1945

Empty metal case, meant to containt syringe for blood transfusion with accessories, found by Sir John Boyd whilst on active service, French, c.1940

The double-ended blood transfusion apparatus meant that the recipient and donor of the blood could be hooked up to the same device. The whole process took thirty minutes.

The apparatus was invented by Dr Louis Jubé, whose name is printed on the lid of the tin. The inscription translates as “Royal Italian Army”. It is believed that this object was used by Sir John Boyd, most likely Sir John Smith Knox Boyd (1891–1981), a British bacteriologist. He was part of the Royal Army Medical Corps during the Second World War and was responsible for blood transfusion and vaccination services in the Middle East.

Related people

Details

Category:
Public Health & Hygiene
Object Number:
A600460/3
Materials:
case, metal, contents, cotton wool, contents, glass, contents, metal and contents, rubber
type:
box - container
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • furnishing and equipment
  • container - receptacle

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.