Odelca oil-kit, marked as “original”, containing three bottles of unidentified oils, marked as A, B and C, by N.V. Optische Industrie (De Oude Delft), specialist makers of X-ray equipment and optical technology, Delft, South Holland, Netherlands, part of Watson-Odelca mass miniature x-ray set, used at Ilford Chest Clinic, London, England, where patients diagnosed with tuberculosis could be treated, 1960-1961
Mass miniature radiography was used to diagnose tuberculosis in Britain from 1936 onwards – in an attempt to control the disease by catching those affected as early as possible. People who appeared outwardly healthy might still show signs of tuberculosis, such as lesions in the chest, and so could spread the disease. This cream coloured machine produced X-ray images that were just 100 mm high. If physicians were unsure about a miniature X-ray when viewed on a projector, the patient was sent to hospital for a full chest X-ray.
- Object Number:
- King George V Hospital
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.