Sling from Quadrangle Storehouse at Sheerness Dockyard, England, 1824-1979

Made:
1824-1829

Sling, part of two bays of floor beams, one adjacent to wall and one internal bay, from the fourth floor level of the Quadrangle Storehouse at Sheerness Dockyard, overall size 340’ x 220’ with inner open court, five stories plus basement, designed by Edward Holl and John Rennie, built 1824-1829 and demolished in 1979

The importance of the Sheerness building lies in its structural system, not in the design of the building elements, it is an early structure in which a system of secondary beams (beams spanning between the main grids) is used in iron construction. Demolished in 1979, under the condition that some sections of the cast iron structure should be set aside for display purposes [Letter from Alan Butcher, 1978-05-06]

Details

Category:
Building Construction
Object Number:
1979-246/21
type:
building material
taxonomy:
  • components
  • components
  • hardware
  • finish hardware
  • bolts (latch and lock components)
credit:
Medway Ports Authority

Cite this page

Rights

We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.


Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero


Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence

Using our data

Download

Download catalogue entry as json

View manifest in IIIF viewer

Add to Animal Crossing Art Generator

Download manifest IIIF

Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.