Components for Parsons Three-Phase Turbo-Alternator
Components, including pipes and generator brush gear, for Parsons three-phase turbo-alternator made by C. A. Parsons and Company Ltd. at Heaton Works in 1900.
This was the first three-phase turbo-alternator to be put to commercial use. All modern electrical generators follow this basic design. Made by the famous C.A. Parsons and Co. at their Heaton Works in Newcastle upon Tyne, the turbo-alternator was ordered by Lord Masham for his Ackton Hall Colliery in Featherstone, Yorkshire. Its primary use was to power his coal-cutting machines. It was retired from the Colliery in 1935 and donated to the Science Museum.
- Electricity Supply
- Object Number:
- Ackton Hall Colliery Co.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.