Phonocardiograph, Cambridge, England, 1921-1929

Made:
1921-1929 in London
maker:
Cambridge Scientific Instrument Company Limited

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Phonocardiograph used at the Cardiothoracic Institute, London, made by the Cambridge Scientific Instrument Company Limited, 2 Beaumont Street, London, England, 1921-1929.

Physicians listened to and recorded the sounds of the heart and lungs using a phonocardiograph machine. It was known as the Cambridge Electrite Cardiograph. Unusual noises such as heart murmurs can indicate abnormalities within these organs. This machine was used at the Cardiothoracic Institute in London. It was made by the Cambridge Instrument Company Limited sometime between 1921 and 1929. It allowed doctors to listen to the heart and lungs via binaural stethoscopes. The machine also printed a trace of the patient’s heart beat to assist diagnosis.