Uterine dilator and injector

Made:
1870-1900 in Paris
maker:
Collin et Compagnie

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Dilator, injector, Degond, steel, chromium-plated, by Collin of Paris, from Charriere, Collin and Gentile collection, circa 1890

A uterine dilator is used to open the uterus to perform surgical or diagnostic procedures. This example is made of chromium-plated steel and measures 355 mm in length. The instrument was introduced into the cervix with the blades closed and gradually opened up using the screw. Undoubtedly this would have caused the patient discomfort and pain. Made by Collin, a surgical instrument maker based in Paris, a leading French gynaecologist, Dr Paul Segond (1851-1912), is believed to have invented this type of dilator.

Details

Category:
Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
Object Number:
A606213
type:
uterine dilator
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • gynaecological equipment
credit:
Drouot