Forceps, obstetrical, Draper, steel and ebony, by Savigny and Co. of London, 1870-1885
Obstetrical forceps were inserted into the mother’s pelvis and gripped a baby’s head during difficult childbirths. These are small, portable and made from nickel-plated steel with wooden handles.
They were invented by W. Draper in the 1870s. The blades of the forceps could be folded inside one another, inserted as one and used as a lever. The forceps could then be opened once inserted. Draper claimed the mother would feel no discomfort.
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
- Object Number:
- obstetrical forceps and obstetrics (instruments) draper, obstetrical forceps and obstetrics (instruments)
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- medical instrument
- obstetrical instrument
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.