Forceps, obstetrical, Anderson, steel, nickel-plated, by Reynolds and Branson, British, early 20th century
Obstetrical forceps grip the baby’s head during difficult childbirths. Many variations appeared from the 1700s. C L Anderson (1843-1900) invented this type of forceps in 1879 drawing on several contemporary designs.
In Anderson’s version, the blades can be separated and inserted into the body one at a time or used together. The finger ring improves grip and lengthens the handle. Forceps made from nickel-plated steel could be sterilised without rusting. They were made by Reynolds and Branson Ltd.