Set of 12 rubber diaphragms, sized 62.5mm to 90mm, with instructions, "Clinocap" brand, English, 1940 to 1950
A diaphragm sits over the cervix. It is a barrier contraceptive. It acts as a barrier to sperm entering the uterus. The set of 12 ‘Clinocap’ diaphragms are pictured on the right. The corresponding size of measuring rings (A606467) is on the left. A physician used the rings to establish the correct size for each woman. ‘Clinocap’ diaphragms were made especially for Dr Marie Stopes (1880-1958). The Mother’s Clinic supplied them to women. Stopes founded the Society for Constructive Birth Control. She opened the first of her birth control clinics in Holloway, North London in 1921. She is best remembered as a feminist and a birth control pioneer.
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
- Object Number:
overall (largest): 90 mm,
- visual and verbal communication
- Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.