Carton for diaphragm, "Clinocap" brand, London, 1930-1960
A diaphragm is a barrier contraceptive. It sits across the top of the vagina and acts as a barrier to sperm entering the uterus. This box once contained a ‘Clinocap’ diaphragm. A Clinocap was made from rubber with a spring in the rim. The diaphragms were made by BCM, supplied by the Mother’s Clinic, and modified by Dr Marie Stopes (1880-1958). Stopes founded the Society for Constructive Birth Control. She opened the first of her birth control clinics in Holloway, North London in 1921. She is best remembered as a feminist and a birth control pioneer.
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
- Object Number:
- Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.