Rubber vault cap, size 2, by Racial/BCM, London
Contraceptive caps are also called cervical, vault or diaphragm caps. They are barrier contraceptives. The Mother’s Clinic supplied it to women. The clinic opened in 1921. Contraceptive caps sit over the cervix. They act as a barrier to sperm entering the uterus. This ‘Racial’ brand of cervical cap was modified by Dr Marie Stopes (1880-1958).
The trademarked ‘Racial’ related to Stopes’ belief in eugenics. This widely held theory in the early 1900s argued selective breeding could remove ‘undesirables’ from society. Stopes founded the Society for Constructive Birth Control. She opened the first of her birth control clinics in Holloway, North London in 1921. She is best remembered as a feminist and a birth control pioneer.
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
- Object Number:
- vault cap
- Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.