Rubber cervical cap, called "Prorace", with tab for easy removal, size 1, by John Bell Croyden Ltd., English
The ‘Prorace’ brand of contraceptives was developed by Dr Marie Stopes (1880-1958). They were distributed by the Mother’s Clinic, which opened in London in 1921. This cervical cap is a barrier contraceptive. It sits across the top of the vagina and acts as a barrier to sperm entering the uterus. The trademarked ‘Prorace’ is related to Stopes’ belief in eugenics. This widely held theory in the early 1900s argued selective breeding could remove ‘undesirables’ from society. The ‘Prorace’ cervical cap has a tab for easy removal. It was manufactured by John Bell and Croyden Limited of London.
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
- Object Number:
- cervical cap
- Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.