Rubber sponge, in original box, "Elarco" type, British
Sponges were widely used as contraception in the early 1900s. This contraceptive sponge is made of rubber. Sponges were one of a range of contraceptives promoted by the Society for Constructive Birth Control. The organisation was founded by Dr Marie Stopes (1880-1958). Stopes founded the first of her birth control clinics in Holloway, North London in 1921. She is best remembered as a feminist and a birth control pioneer. This object was donated by the Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation. The contraceptive sponge is in its original aluminium box. It was manufactured in Britain by Elarco.
- Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
- Object Number:
- contraceptive sponge
- Marie Stopes Memorial Foundation
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.