Umbilical tape in sterile glass tubes

Made:
1930-1960 in London
maker:
Savory and Moore Limited

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

2 packets of umbilical tape in sterile glass tubes, prepared by John Bell and Croyden, London, 1930-1960

Each of these packets contains three sterile glass vials. Within them is a length of umbilical tape. The umbilical cord is the tube connecting the foetus to the placenta while it develops during pregnancy. The tape tied off the stump of the umbilical cord after birth. This prevented infection within the infant’s navel. It is an alternative to an umbilical clamp. It also helps prevent excessive bleeding after the cord is cut.

Details

Category:
Obstetrics, Gynaecology & Contraception
Object Number:
1984-1375/49
Materials:
packet, cardboard, tape and tube, glass
Measurements:
box: 115 mm x 44 mm x 19 mm, .04 kg
tube: 110 mm 10 mm, .01 kg
type:
umbilical tape