Henry Simon Ltd

Henry Simon Ltd had head offices on 20 Mount Street, Manchester and also had works in Cheadle Heath, Stockport, Stalybridge, Liverpool and Sydney, N.S.W. The company made granary equipment, mechanical and pneumatic handling plant for grain and coal, and elevators and conveyors for all purposes and for companies worldwide. They developed pneumatic systems of handling grain, coal, ash, and oxide and have installed many pneumatic plants of various types for use at ports, flour mills, power stations, gas works, factories and breweries. Henry Simon became established in the Far East as the leading British firm of rice milling engineers and equipped mills in Burma and French Indo-China.

The company was founded by engineer and Polish immigrant Henry Gustav Simon, who had developed the first roller milling machine for grinding grain in 1878. In 1881 Henry Simon built the first completely automatic roller flour mill in the world for McDougall Brothers. The 'Simon System' offered huge advantages over existing techniques, and within 15 years Henry Simon had over 400 mills in operation using his system in the United Kingdom, Europe, Africa, India, South America, Australia and Japan. Initially, Henry Simon equipment was manufactured in Europe, to Simon's designs.

In 1897 Henry Simon Ltd became a private limited company. The company's founder died not longer afterwards, in 1899.

The company opened its first UK factory in 1902, at the Eagle Ironworks in Stalybridge. Expansion continued in 1915, when Henry Simon acquired of the milling engineering business and factory of Briddon and Fowler in Bredbury, Cheshire. In 1926 the company united its headquarters and factories at purpose-built premises in Cheadle Heath, Stockport.

A further acquisition followed in 1933, when the company bought over Turbine Gears. The company would continue to grow for over a century.

In 1960 the two parent companies of Simon Engineering Group, Simon Carves Ltd and Henry Simon (Holdings) Ltd, merged, forming Simon Engineering Ltd.

The 1980s saw another significant merger, when Henry Simon and another long-established cereal milling business, Thomas Robinson and Son, joined forces in October 1988 to become Robinson Milling Systems Ltd. In 1991 the business was acquired by the Japanese firm, Satake Corporation, to form Satake Robinson UK Ltd, later Satake UK Ltd.

Satake made the decision to form a UK Division, which moved, together with ESM (UK), to Bredbury in 1998.