Walter Pollard Ltd.
Walter Pollard Ltd submitted a planning application in December, 1911 for Malvern Mill. The mill operated 1200 looms, driven by an engine built by William Roberts & Sons Ltd. Pollard specialised in Italians, sateens, twills and fine cambrics. The business also operated out of Hendon Mill.
Pollard's business, along with connected shippers in Bradford and Manchester, and a London merchant tailor collapsed in 1922. Walter Pollard (1909) Ltd. went into voluntary liquidation at the end of 1922, but a new company, Walter Pollard (1923) Ltd was registered to continue manufacturing. Walter Pollard initially stayed on as Managing Director, and left the business in 1931.
The 1930s saw the firm modernise, investing in machinery and expanding the production of rayon. The company produced a variety of fabrics, including shirtings and raincoat cloth. In the 1930s the firm employed 600 employees at Malvern Mill and Brook Street.
John Williams, joint managing director in the 1950s, focussed on improving working conditions for employees. Under his management, the company developed its training schemes, and ran an apprentice and design centre between 1949 and 1953.
Walter Pollard (1923) Ltd ceased production in early 1960.