Till & Whitehead Limited

Established by Thomas Till and Frederick Whitehead in 1876 supplying tacks to pulley belts that drove the textile machines. The company expanded and began selling high quality ironmongery, they began to make the “Crucible” fire grate along with cooking ranges and iron bed frames.

In 1896 the company was incorporated and continued to grow eventually supplying the building trade as well as domestic customers. The original premises on Chester Road were the subject of a compulsory purchase order and they moved to new premises on Ellesmere Street. The company opened branches in Bolton and Cheltenham from where they continue to trade.