Cochran and Company (Annan) Limited 1899 - 1969
1898-1969, boiler maker; ship builder, Scotland
1878 - James Taylor Cochran established Cochran & Co General Engineering and Shipbuilding works in Birkenhead.
1898 - company moved to larger yard in Annan and registered as Cochran & Co Annan Limited.
1899 - first Annan built Cochran boiler completed.
1901 - shipbuilding ceased and company concentrated soley on boiler manufacture.
1902 - founders James Cochran and Edward Compton retired from the company.
1913 - undertook special oil firing trials in order to optimise its use in steam raising.
1914-1918 - all production was controlled by the Admiralty during World War 1.
1918 - all employees agreed to form an Industrial Council.
1928 - pressure vessel manufacture started.
1934 - launched a range of horizontal shell-type waste heat boilers.
1940 - the Cochran Economic boiler launched. 1944 - made armour plating for tanks and some of the Mulberry Units for the D-Day landings.
1964 - the Cochran Spheroid Boiler launched.
1966 - the Clansman, a hot water boiler, launched.
1968 - acquired Ruston and Hornsby of Lincoln.
1969 - Industrial Council ended. Company merged with John Thompson of Glasgow to become John Thompson Cochran.
1970 - Clarke Chapman Ltd merged with John Thompson Cochran to become the Clarke Chapman John Thompson Group creating the Thompson Cochran Division.
1989 - became part of the Rolls-Royce Industrial Power Group.
1995 - became the first company in the world to be awarded the Chinese seal of approval for safety.
1995 - became BIB Cochran.
2010 - bought out by a Chinese company and became Cochran Ltd.