Belsize Motors Limited
Marshall and Company was formed in 1896; its first car was thought to have been made by 1897. The company started naming its cars “Belsize” in 1901 after the Belsize Works that it occupied in Clayton, near Manchester. In 1903 Marshall and Company, expanding rapidly, needed more capital. It raised money through the public issue of shares and changed its name to the “Belsize Motor and Engineering Company”. Issuing more shares in 1906, it dropped the “Engineering” and became the “Belsize Motor Company”.