Wiggins Teape & Co. Ltd
Paper maker formed in 1761 as Edward and Jones, in Aldgate, London. It became a public company in 1919, and bought the Aberdeenshire papermakers Alexander Pirie and Sons in 1922. By 1932, the group owned 28 subsidiary companies. It was bought by the British American Tobacco (BAT) Industries Group in 1970, become a wholly owned subsidiary, but left BAT in 1990 along with another subisdiary company, Appleton. Wiggins Teape and Appleton merged to become Wiggins Teape Appleton, which later merged with French paper company Arjomari to become Arjo Wiggins Appleton.