Linotype and Machinery Limited
The Linotype and Machinery Limited was the product of a merger between the Linotype Company Limited, originally registered as a company in 1889, and the Machinery Trust Limited registered in 1893.
The Linotype Company Limited initially imported American built machines from the Merganthaler Linotype Company. However, as demand grew it looked to producing the parts and making the machines in England initially at a converted mill on Hulme Street, Manchester from 1889 onwards.
The Machinery Trust Limited acted as agents either selling or leasing the composing machines to printers. The success of the companies continued and in order to meet the demand for the machines the two companies merged on the 11th August 1903. They also clarified their position with the American owners of the original patents as to which countries they could sell their machines. The new company occupied the premises of the Linotype Company in Broadheath, Altrincham.
By the time of the outbreak of the First World War, it was estimated that there were 30,000 linotype machines in operation across the world. Linotype and Machinery Company Limited had established branch offices in Calcutta, Bombay, Madras, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Africa, Nigeria, Egypt and Borneo, as well as having a head office in London, and sales offices in Cheltenham.