Dot Cycle & Motor Manufacturing Company Limited 1903 - 2013
DOT (Devoid of Trouble) were manufacturers of pedal cycles and motorcycles, established in Salford by Harry Reed in 1903 and later moving to premises in Hulme, Manchester in 1907. Reed promoted DOT motorcycles by taking part in races across Britain, winning the twin-cylinder class TT in 1908. He continued to race successfully until 1924, when he came second in the sidecar TT.
Initially DOT used Peugeot, JAP or Precision engines. In 1923 the company introduced a model using a 348cc oil-cooled ohv Bradshaw engine.
In 1926 Harry Reed left the business, leaving it in the hands of new owners who expanded the range of products. Two-stroke engine models were introduced alongside the four-strokes the company had been manufacturing. In 1928 the business began using Villiers engines.
DOT suffered in the Depression, and the product range was scaled back. In 1932 the company again transferred to a new owner: Bernard Wade. Manufacturing ceased until after the Second World War, with the introduction of three-wheeled motorcycle trucks. From 1949 single road models began to appear. In 1957 DOT marketed a moped, the Dot-Vivi.
By 1962 business had slowed and the range began to be reduced. By 1968 DOT motorcycles were only available in kit form, and the lack of Villiers engines in the 1970s left the firm reliant on the 170cc Italian Minarelli.
The company ceased manufacture in 1978 but continued supplying spare parts from the Hulme factory until 2013.