Sir WG Armstrong, Whitworth & Co Ltd
1897-1927, Engineering Company, Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne
Formed from the merger of Armstrong Mitchell & Co. and Joseph Whitworth & Co. in 1897.
The company expanded into the manufacture of cars and trucks in 1902, and created an "aerial department" in 1913, which became the Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft subsidiary in 1920. In 1927, the aircraft and Armstrong Siddeley motors business were bought out by J. D. Siddeley and became a separate entity, and the heavy engineering was merged with Vickers Limited to form Vickers-Armstrongs