Wiltshire, Somerset and Weymouth Railway
The Wiltshire, Somerset and Weymouth Railway (WS&WR) was a nominally independent railway promoted by the Great Western Railway to counter the perceived threat to its operating territory from the London and South Western Railway. It was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1845. It was to be on the broad gauge (the same as the Great Western Railway) and to run from Chippenham to Salisbury, with branches to Weymouth, Sherbourne, Devizes, Bradford-on-Avon and Radstock. A section from Chippenham to Westbury was opened in 1848 but the company was unable to raise the money needed for further construction. The line was sold to the Great Western Railway in 1850.