Steel makers, armaments and engineering manufacturers founded in Sheffield in 1828 by the miller Edward Vickers and his father-in-law George Naylor.
In 1863 the company moved to a new site in Sheffield on the River Don in Brightside. The company went public in 1867 as Vickers, Sons & Company and gradually acquired more businesses.
In 1911, the company name was changed to Vickers Ltd. The company expanded into aircraft manufacture with the formation of Vickers Ltd (Aviation Department).
In 1927, Vickers merged their armaments, shipbuilding and heavy engineering activities with Armstrong Whitworth to form Vickers-Armstrong Limited.