W.F. Stanley and Company Limited
WF Stanley & Co Ltd (1854- 1999), surveying equipment manufacturers
W.F. Stanley & Co. Ltd. preceded by W.F. Stanley, was founded by William Ford Stanley who began manufacturing and retailing mathematical and drafting tools in 1854, in Holborn, London. Within 10 years, he had expanded his product line to include microscopes, focusing on mid-priced, decent-quality instruments for students and middle class buyers. The head office and works were latterly at Avery Hill Road, New Eltham, London SE9.
In 1900 the company was incorporated as a limited company and at about 1905, a new shop was opened at 286 High Holborn. William Ford Stanley died in 1909 but the company continued. Heath & Co was acquired in 1937. They became part of Clarke and Smith Industries in 1965 before being acquired by the Sime Darby Group in July 1975. The company remained unprofitable and was sold to EIF Consultants in 1978. It continued to produce instruments until it was finally liquidated in 1999.