Radar Research Establishment
The Radar Research Establishment was formed from a merger between the Air Ministry's Telecommunications Research Establishment (TRE) and the British Army's Radar Research and Development Establishment (RRDE). It was given its new name, Royal Radar Establishment, after a visit by Queen Elizabeth II in 1957.
In 1942, scientists from what had started in 1916 in Woolwich as the Signals Experimental Establishment moved to the Malvern site. They discovered the power of radar and in 1953 formed the Radar Research Establishment. Over the next decades they discovered Cadmium Mercury Telluride, produced the first real-time thermal imager, the first byphenal Liquid Crystal. In 1975 pyroelectric intruder alarms were developed and after a series of mergers the Royal Signals and Radar Establishment came into being in 1976.