Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway
In 1861 Sir Edward Lumb, a British entrepreneur, requested a concession from the Legislature of the Province of Buenos Aires to build a railway line from Constitucion to Chascomus, 120km away from Buenos Aires, which was granted on June 12th 1862 by President Bartolome Mitre. In 1863, with the support of London shareholders Thomas Duguid, the Fair family, British consul Frank Parish (later Southern’s chairman), and bankers Baring and David Robertson, Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway Ltd. was established. The first general manager of the company was Edward Banfield, the Buenos Aires suburban station of Banfield was named after him when it opened in 1873.
Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway had its company headquarters in London, and operated workshops and rolling stock depots in Barracas. The main stations of the Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway are Constitucion, Barracas al Sud, Jeppener, Chascomus, Barracas al Norte, Las Flores, Azul, Dolores and Banfield. In 1877 Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway built a new warehouse in Constitucion station for freight trains and a freight station at Sola in Buenos Aires where repair shops operated for 15 years. By 1884 Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway was the largest in Argentina, with 1,025km of track. In 1901 new workshops were built at Remedios de Escalada, 11km from Constitucion station, being the largest workshop in South America, employing 2700.
In 1925, the company took over Bahia Blanca and North Western Railway from Buenos Aires and Pacific Railway Company. By 1930 Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway Company had 8000 km of track, 504 stations, 857 locomotives, 955 carriages, 16,602 coaches and 30,000 employees. The company continued to function until 1948, when President Juan Peron nationalised the Argentine Railway, creating six state owned railway networks. Buenos Aires Great Southern Railway was incorporated into the Ferrocarril General Roca network.