Nigerian Railway Corporation
In 1955 the Nigerian Railway Corporation Act was passed by a British Act of Parliament, which gave Nigerian Railways Corporation (NRC) exclusive rights to construct and operate rail services in Nigeria. By 1964 when the construction of 640km Kano-Maiduguri rail line, then known as Bornu extension, was completed, the present core of the railway network had been put in place. The headquarters of the Corporation are located at Ebute-Metta in Lagos while the entire network is, for administrative conveniences, divided into seven autonomous districts viz: Lagos (Ebute-Metta Junction), West (Ibadan), North (Zaria), East (Enugu), North-West, (Minna), North-Central (Kafanchan) and North-East (Bauchi).
In 1988 Nigerian Railways declared bankruptcy. From 2006 to the present day the railway has been undergoing some rehabilitation and modernization with the full political and financial support of the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Transport.