Victoria Engineering Works

Willans & Robinson Ltd (1880) built Victoria Engineering Works in Rugby in 1896, as the town had a central position in the UK, which had a ready-made workforce skilled in manufacturing and power generation because of the railway industry. Good railway access at Rugby also meant that transporting raw material into the factory and finished goods out was straightforward. Dick, Kerr and Company Ltd took over the Works in 1917, which then became part of the English Electric Company (EE) a year later and the name changed to the Willans Works.