Brighton Railway Mission
Organised Christian worship began at the Brighton Railway Station in 1876, five years before the foundation of the Railway Mission and it is unclear when exactly the Railway Mission was founded in Brighton. These early meetings were led by Mrs Elizabeth Gates. By 1882 the increase in attendance of these meetings led to them moving to premises which could accommodate 400 people in the Reading Room/Library at the Brighton Locomotive Works. In 1894, on behalf of the Brighton Railway Mission, Mrs Gates purchased the existing Methodist Church on Viaduct Road and opened it as their Mission Hall on the 4th of July, 1894.
The Brighton Railway Mission closed in c 1984 in which year the Mission Hall was renamed the Calvary Evangelical Church, which still practices today.