Yorkshire Fire and Life Insurance Company
The Yorkshire Insurance Company was established in 1824 as the Yorkshire Fire and Life Insurance Company. On 27 May 1908, the company changed its name to the Yorkshire Insurance Company and was registered as a limited company on 3 June 1908.
The company purchased its first fire engine in November 1824 tackled fires in York until the city corporation assumed responsibility for all fire fighting in 1876.
The company was acquired by the General Accident Fire and Life Assurance Corporation Ltd in 1968.