Mirfield Station

Mirfield station was originally a part of Manchester & Leeds Railway. Line from Hebden Bridge to Normanton, passing Mirfield, was opened in 1840. At first Mirfild was a stop without buildings, the first station was opened in April 1845 and a larger one due to increased traffic in March 1866. The engine shed was probably built between mid-1840s - 1860s. In 1847 Manchester & Leeds changed its name to Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. Being one of eleven of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway sheds Mirfiled had both passenger and goods engines. Decline in freight traffic and elimination of steam power led to the closure of Mirfield engine shed in 1967, being demolished in 2007.