Liverpool John Moores University

The Liverpool Mechanics Institute was founded in 1823 this was followed by the establishment of the Liverpool Institute and School of Art, the Liverpool Nautical College and in 1900 Irene Mabel Marsh opened the IM Marsh Campus. These institutions came together initially as a Polytechnic before becoming known as the Liverpool John Moores University in 1992.

The university was named after Sir John Moores (1896-1993) founder and owner of Littlewoods, a retailer, mail order company and football pools company.