Parr, George 1894 - 1975
George Parr was born on 30th July 1894 in Long Preston, Lancashire. His father William was a signal man. Later in his childhood he moved to Keighley, West Yorkshire. He attended a school in Worth Valley and started work at 13 in a local mill.
On 15th June 1909 he was indentured to Messrs. W. H. Brocklehurst of Bradford to learn the printing trade.
He served in WW1, enlisting in 1915 and serving until 1919. He rose to be a sergeant in the West Riding Brigade 3rd Royal Field Artillary. During his service he was awarded the Military Medal. He was disembodied on 30th May 1919. After the war he returned to work for Brocklehurst's.
Parr married Florence Pye on 1st January 1921. Pye had a dress-making business on Bradford Road in Keighley. After the marriage they lived in Calverley with Parr's parents, William Parr and Elizabeth-Ann Parr. Later they moved to their own home in Thornhill Street. In 1926 they acquired a newly built house on Ravenscliffe Road. During this time they had a daughter, Mary, and a son, Donald.
In the second world war, Parr, always a religious man, was encouraged to take up an appointment to preach. He was accepted and became active as a preacher and speaker from 1945 onwards.
Parr retired in 1959. After his retirement Parr's wife and daughter bought him a photographic enlarger. An old enthusiasm for photography was rekindled during this time, during which he turned a box room into his own dark room. He was inspired and encouraged by Bradford Photographic Society. He became Syllabus Secretary for the society, and regularly taught and gave demonstration. He was awarded the Leighton Trophy six times between 1957 and 1971. During this time he also exhibited his work at the Royal Photographic Society, London. He also produced a film about Bromoil work, which was widely used by local societies.
Parr's wife, Florence passed away in March 1971. In 1972 George Parr met and married Miss Cora Williamson from Batley, and in 1973 they moved into their own home at 18 Portman Street, Calverly.