Evening Standard Co Ltd

UK newspaper founded as The Standard by barrister Stanley Lees Giffard on 21 May 1827. The Standard became a morning paper from 29 June 1857, with The Evening Standard being published from 11 June 1859

Both The Standard and the Evening Standard were acquired by C. Arthur Pearson in 1904. In May 1915, Edward Hulton purchased the Evening Standard and closed The Standard, in 1916.

In 1923, the Evening Standard was purchased by Lord Beaverbrook, owner of the Daily Express. In 1980, the Standard was merged with the Evening News. It was known as the Newstandard until revertising to the Standard in 1985.