Melling, John

John Melling of Rainhill was a railway engine builder and was in charge of the locomotive shop of the London and Midland Railway in the 1830s, becoming in complete charge of the locomotive department in 1837, he was replaced by John Dewrance and then established the Rainhill Iron Works with his son. He was also Superintendent of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway’s Edge Hill Workshop. He promoted his ‘improved fireplace for a locomotive engine, with hollow bars, and ash pit constructed so as to form part of the boiler’ this was incorporated into his patent of 1837.