Andrews, Cuthbert 1882 - 1972
Cuthbert Andrews [hereafter CA to distinguish the man from the firm] first experience with x-ray tubes was during the period 1903-7 whilst employed by Watson & Sons of High Holborn, London, the microscope manufacturers. In January 1910 he established the London branch of C.H.F. Muller of Hamburg at 35 Hatton Garden, moving to 47 Red Lion Street, High Holborn in October 1911. C.A. managed the business until early 1915 when he purchased it under the terms of the Trading with the Enemy Amendment Act. A separate trading company Males and Andrews was established at Walworth Road in 1914 to make the metal components of x-ray tubes, rapidly diversifying into general scientific instrument manufacture and specialised mechanical work. From 1925-33 X-rays Ltd. traded from Red Lion Street as an additional company managed by C.A.; this Company incorporated F.R. Butt & Co. Ltd. who subsequently worked in association with Cuthbert Andrews. For some years, during the 1930's Cuthbert Andrews were the sole British maker of x-ray tubes and shortly after the outbreak of World War II an alternative manufacturing site was planned outside London. An almost direct hit on the Walworth Road factory proved the wisdom of this step - premises in Bushey were fitted out and work transferred from Red Lion Street in October 1940; the Red Lion Street premises were subsequently (1943) destroyed by incendiary attacks.
In 1948 Cuthbert Andrews ceased to manufacture x-ray tubes and apparatus -
Males and Andrews was closed - and concentrated on supplying 'Everything X-ray' from their base at 5 High Street, Bushey. In 1962 C.A.'s elder son, Richard, who had worked for and with his father since 1929, became a partner in the business, taking over in 1972 on C.A.'s death. Everything X-ray Ltd. was registered in 1975 owned 100% by the Andrews family and staff with more than 10 years' service.
C.A. was elected to the Rontgen Society (subsequently the British Institute of Radiology) in 1913 and to its Council in 1920; he was Vice-President in 1940 and President in 1953. The Society of Radiographers elected him an Honorary Member (1937) and an Honorary Fellow (1956). He was a member of the X-Ray and Radium Protection Committee from its foundation in 1921 until the early 1950s. His 'little jokes and moralisings at the expense of radiology' are best appreciated through his lectures and the spoof catalogue. His trenchant belief in a 'buy British' policy is reflected in the advertising copy.