Lancashire Dynamo & Crypto
Lancashire Dynamo & Crypto was a manufacturer of dynamos, generators and electric motors, founded in Trafford Park, Manchester in 1899 as Lancashire Dynamo and Motor Co. the company manufactured its first Alternator in 1901. A few years later production of Induction motors began and in 1910 the company produced the first commercial self-starting synchronous motor built in the UK, at it's Trafford Park works.
The Crypto Electrical Company was formed in 1904 and commenced manufacturing small electrical motors at Tyers Gate Way, Bermondsey. Within 4 years the company had moved to larger premises before finally moving to a new site in Acton Lane, London in 1912. The Lancashire Dynamo and Motor Company became associated with the Crypto Electrical Co Ltd in 1919 and later in 1932 the two companies merged to form the parent company, Lancashire Dynamo & Crypto Ltd
Under the parent company, several smaller manufacturers of specialist electrical equipment became part of the group. Foster Transformers & Switchgear Ltd established in 1903 manufactured special testing equipment and switchboards from its premises in Wimbledon.
In 9132 the parent company established a section at it's Willesden works to manufacturer and sell food preparation machinery and equipment.The section was so successful that it was set up as a subsidiary called Crypto Ltd in new premises on the North Circular Road.
Also in 1932, the parent company established Crypto Equipment Ltd as a specialist manufacturer of static rectifiers, battery charging equipment and automobile electrical servicing equipment. The original factory was destroyed in 1940, prompting a move to new premises in Bridgewater, Somerset. As well as the factory there was also a Research Department and a complete demonstration garage.
Nevelin Electric Co Ltd specialised in the manufacturing of a range of glass bulb mercury arc rectifier equipment from half a kilowatt to 2,000 kW. Their works were situated in Croydon.
In 1960, Metal Industries acquired Lancashire Dynamo Holdings Ltd. Metal Industries was acquired by AEI in 1967.