1835-1933, boilermaker and engineer, Manchester.
Engineering firm Galloway, Bowman and Glasgow was established in Lancashire in 1790 by William Galloway. The business had an iron foundry, and also manufactured mill wheels. In 1836, following the death of William Galloway, his sons William and John Galloway left the company and established their own firm, W. and J. Galloway at Knott Mill Ironworks. The company became W. and J. Galloway and sons in 1856, and became a private company, Galloways Ltd in 1889. In 1899 Galloways became a private limited company.
The business became one of the leading suppliers of steam boilers to mills and factories in the Manchester area, but the firm manufactured a range of other metal goods. These included rivets, screw jacks, pipes, axels and wagons for railways and planing machinery. In 1848 the company patented their double-fire flue boiler, known as the Galloway Boiler. This would become the firm's best-known product.
By the 1850s and 1860s the firm had a diverse international business. This included the supply of gunpowder mills and steam engines to powder mills in Constantinople, steam engines and gearings for Russian cotton mills around St. Petersburg area, and machinery for Indian-based cotton mills. The company was also engaged in civil engineering projects, notably building a viaduct for the Ulverston and Lancaster Railway in 1855-1857 and Southport Pier in 1859-1860.
In 1856 Charles and John Galloway, became partners in the family business. Charles would become its Chairman in 1889.
At its peak, Galloways employed more than 1,000 people.
Galloways ceased trading and went into receivership in 1932. The firm's records, drawings and patterns were purchased by Hick, Hargreaves & Co. of Bolton in 1933.