Royal National Institute for the Blind
Founded on the 16 October 1868 as the British and Foreign Society for Improving the Embossed Literature of the Blind. In 1869 there was a slight name change to reflect the desire to promote the employment of the blind as well. A missing commitment to educate blind people by using braille meant a further change in name, for the by then association, reflected this in 1871 when it became the British and Foreign Association for Promoting the Education and Employment of the blind.
The association adopted braille on the 5 May 1870 and published the UK’s first key to the braille alphabet and music notation. This was not the only development the association was involved in, it also published the braille magazine, helped to develop an Arabic braille code in 1889 and released their first braille dictionary in 1893
In 1914 the association moved to new premises and changed its name to The National Institute for the Blind, reflecting the national status of the association. It received its Royal charter in 1949 and in 2002 altered its name to Royal National Institute of the Blind. Finally becoming the Royal National Institute of Blind People in 2008.