The Lea Recorder Co. Ltd
The Lea Recorder Co Ltd was established by James Edward Lea (c1869-1955) in 1911 as a manufacturer of recording equipment for measuring water and coal consumption. Lea had invented an automatic water-consumption recorder whilst working in South Africa. In 1905 he patented his recorder and returned to England to begin manufacturing it. In 1913 the business was registered as a private limited liability company.
The original premises were situated on Deansgate, Manchester. The company moved to premises on Cornbrook Park Road in 1918.
Lea continued in his role as Chairman of the business until his death in 1955.