Electric Construction Co. Ltd 1888 - 1985
The Electric Construction Corporation (later the Electric Construction Company Ltd) was registered on 20th July, 1893. The company established works in Bushbury in 1888 on a 23 acre site, purposely built for electrical engineering construction. The site included an iron foundry and its own railway siding. Early products included the E.C.C. Standard Type Dynamo and Motor for generators and motor cars, direct current transformers and rotary converters, electric railway plant, various alternators and transformers, arc lamps and meters and other electrical components for motor cars. The company's most famous motor car was the Electric Dog Cart, manufactured in 1896. In its early years, the Electric Construction Corporation supplied a Multipolar Generator, then the largest direct current machine in the world, to the Manchester Corporation.
After 1945, a separate factory was built in Shaw Road for manufacturing transformers, and housing a rectifying plant. Two associate companies - E.C.C. (Moulded Breakers) Ltd, and Federal Electric Ltd, were also established in a separate factory in Fordhouse Road, Wolverhampton. Beginning in 1959, these companies manufactured a range of medium voltage switchgear for electrical distribution in industry, commercial buildings, hospitals, shops and domestic settings. Products included fuse switches and moulded case air circuit breakers.
The E.C.C employed over 2000 people by the 1960s. By this time the business was producing medium and heavy electrical equipment including motors, generators, control gear, rectifiers and transformers, and components for the communications industries. Many products were exported around the world, and the company set up subsidiaries E.C.C. South Africa, Proprietary Ltd. and E.C.C. Transformers & Controls Ltd. in New Zealand.
The late 1960s and 1970s saw the business struggle to compete with cheaper foreign components. The E.C.C. were taken over by Aberdare Holdings, based in South Wales, which manufactured modern truck and metal clad switchgear. The E.C.C. became part of the Hawker Siddeley Group, before closing in September, 1985. The works were demolished in 1986.