English Sewing Cotton Co Ltd
The English Sewing Cotton Company Limited was a union of fourteen firms who combined to form the company in 1897.
The fourteen companies initially involved in the union were;
John Dewhurst & Sons Ltd of Skipton and Airton, Yorkshire. Established in 1789
Ermen & Roby Ltd of Pendlebury and Patricroft, Lancashire. Established in 1837
S Manlove & Sons of Chesterfield and Belper. Established in 1829
W G & J Strutt of Belper and Milford. Established in 1776
Sir Richard Arkwright & Co of Cromford, Matlock Bath and Mellor. Established in 1769
C A Rickards of Bell Busk and Skipton. Established in 1862
Bagley & Wright of Belgrave Mill and Crooklands Bobbin Mill, Oldham. Established in 1867
Edmund Ashworth & Sons Ltd of Egerton Mill, near Bolton. Established in 1800
Crawford Brothers of Barr Mill, Beith, Scotland. Established in 1775
J and E Waters & Co of Hulme, Manchester and Carlisle. Established in 1835
William Waller & Co of Britannia Mills, Manchester. Established in 1830
Marsland, Son & Co of albert Mills, Manchester. Established in 1789
John Thomas Raworth of Crown Cotton Mills, Leicester. Established in 1820
George Wigley & Co of Old Silk Mill, Derby. Established in 1867
The company was established in order to unite the principal English firms and companies engaged in the manufacture of sewing, crochet, knitting, mending and other cottons as well as subsidiary businesses engaged in cotton spinning, doubling, dyeing, bleaching and polishing.
After the amalgamation further companies joined the union, they were;
R F and J Alexander & Co Ltd, Glasgow. Established in 1820 who joined the new organisation in 1898
Lawrence Arden Ltd, Hazel Grove who joined in 1899
Portwood Spinning Co Ltd, Stockport joined the organisation in 1929
The Stanhill Ring Spinning Co (1920) Ltd joined in 1946
In 1968 a change of name was registered and the company became known as English Calico Ltd.