Redfern's Rubber Works Ltd
Started in 1900 by Wilfred Redfern to supply cycle tyres and pedal rubbers and other items for the cycle trade. He was joined by his brother Thomas Redfern and they moved to larger premises on Clarendon Street, Hyde.
As well as supplying cycle parts the brothers became involved in the sale of rubber heels. In 1906 they purchased Spring Bank Mill in order to produce their own heels and as a consequence became manufacturers, rather then sellers of rubber goods. The Redfern’s had registered the Non-Slipping Silent Heel Co Ltd in 1905 with £5,000 capital but, this was increased to £80,000 and the name of the company changed to Redfern’s Rubber works Ltd.