Vortexion Ltd 1936 - 1973
- Wimbledon, Merton, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
Vortexion Ltd was established in 1936 by two brothers, Sidney and Edward Brown. They were a manufacturer of public address systems and later of tape recorders. In 1942, Edward suddenly died, so Sidney's wife, Dorothy, assumed the position of director.
During the Second World War, the company was under the direction of the UK government to produce amplifiers for Air Raid Precaution and the government.
Following the war in 1947, they developed a recording amplifier for disc recording purposes, and a Magnetophon recording and replay amplifier to drive a magentic tape recorder deck. This made them an early entrant into the tape recording field. However, they released their first tape recorder in 1953.
In the 1950s, their products were selling in relatively large numbers and during this time they also produced a small range of mixers designed for professional applications. In the 1960s, they entered into transistors. They do not seem to have produced any Hi-Fi amplifiers instead focusing on sound reinforcement.
Sidney Brown died in 1972 which led to the company being sold to Clarke and Smith, finalised in 1953. Dorothy Brown continued as director on the board of the new CSI-Vortexion until the late 1970s. The company remained autonomous until 1974 when their production was moved to Wallington.