In the early 19th century there were Baddeleys working in the Hackney area of East London as engravers of plates for the printing industry and seal dies for the embossing presses, for the jewellery and pottery industries. In 1859, John Baddeley opened a bank account for the engraving business started by his father.
In 1885, a factory was built for the company at Moor Lane, where it manufactured envelopes and stationery items. The factory was completely destroyed in the Blitz of 1941, and new premises were opened in Paul Street in 1946. The company later moved to Boundary Street in 1989, before moving back to Hackney in 1993, where they continue to manufacture high quality, engraved stationery and envelopes.